View Profile 1f1n1ty

7 Game Reviews

Why is this rated so low? This is a pretty solid logic game!

Some things I would suggest though:
- Clicking a filled in tile should make the spot empty, not fill it with an X
- The "group of unknown size" clues should gray out when I know the size of the groups, as opposed to graying out when the current row matches the description.
- When clicking the reset button, the clues should reset to be not grayed out

Couldn't figure out level 51 so I can't tell you more than that :/

This game is pretty well done stylistically! I feel like if there was more of an introduction to some of the concepts (as opposed to just slapping them in and hoping the player will notice it amidst the distractions), it would make the level design feel more solid.

What I really love about this game is that it has the gameplay of your standard point and click adventure, with the whole collecting, combining, and interacting with objects, but at the same time the series is following the puzzle game formula that all the best puzzle games follow. Chapter 1 introduced a new concept and slowly experimented with what it can do until the player has a solid grasp on how the system works. Here, Chapter 2 has taken those ideas and twisted them completely with the covering/uncovering mirrors and item duplication, and through the game teaches you how to apply those concepts until mastery in very subtle, well-designed ways. Now, it's not just the continuation of the story that makes me want to look out for the next chapter - I'm also excited to see what other concepts and twists you guys will put into the concept! Stunning work, fully deserving my every star!

132 Audio Reviews

OOH a PSMD remix! I know this theme really well so I can comment with context

"PSMD has a constant upbeat feel to it with the exception of some parts here and there" OH how I disagree... PSMD's soundtrack is so vividly ambient in more ways than one. The soundtrack is absolutely brimming with emotions on every side of the spectrum - happy songs, yes, but also scary ones, defeated ones, determined ones. The Partner Theme in itself is meant to be atmospheric and longing in nature.

So you probably know this already, but a lot of this is incorrectly transcribed. Makes sense, you were probably trying to nail it by ear but just aren't quite super practiced with it yet. For this theme, though, you have an amazing reference in Bespinben: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUaAszRmBbQ He put up this near-verbatim arrangement of the theme the day the game released in Japan. I know back when I was remixing this song I used these sheets to nail the chords from the song.

I really like some of the creative liberties you pulled in this track - judging by the description you made some pretty daring moves and although they didn't all work out (which is to be expected for daring the first time - I didn't get it all right when I was starting out either), I have to admire the effort. I really like your interpretation of the intro for the track and some of the chords you used, although wrong, are nice nevertheless.

General as-if-the-song-was-in-a-vacuum criticism:
- The drums could be more pronounced, and there could be more percussion in general to really sell the beat in the climaxes
- The piano could be further humanized so it sounds more organic and less robotic
- I like what you were going for with the 2:54 transition but look for ways to make it more impactful, possibly by dropping the chords or really emphasizing the break in the middle.
- The strings in the intro don't really sell it, probably because you're using low quality strings: I usually end up using a light pad instead of strings just because I don't have access to any decent string libraries myself.

Also sorta wished to hear your interpretation on the back few sections of the song, where did those go? :( But what you have a nice start! I'm sorta honored you would take this endeavor because of me :pray: Best of luck in the future!

Likwify responds:

Wow! Thank you so much! I wasn't expecting a review from you, nonetheless all the feedback you sent me. So, here's my explanation of everything you mentioned:
About the description where I mentioned that it has an upbeat feel, I was referring to the "No frustration, no giving up" arrangement. I just forgot to mention that. However, I do agree that most of the soundtrack is more ambient.
I really appreciate your criticism, and I agree that I'm still just starting to learn how to make more PMD-styled music. I'm not great at mixing or effects, and that really shows in things like strings and piano.
The reason I wanted to just focus on certain sections of the song is that I'm still learning how to transition everything together. I did try a few times to remix the parts later on in the soundtrack, but nothing really turned out right except for what I have in the song now. Later on, when I'm better at the composition of ambient music, I might try to do another remix of another track but with the entire song in it. But that's still pretty far off in the future.
As for Bespinben's arrangements... well, I actually did find that. Unfortunately, I only found them earlier today, and by that time, the song was practically done and I probably would've left something wrong in there and accidentally publish the song with the wrong notes. I really regret not looking for an arrangement of it beforehand.

Yes yes yes! I was waiting for this one

I wasn't kidding about that title, it's ridiculously long, which gives it quirky uniqueness, and it super fits. Like, SUPER fits. I can TASTE the wanderlust in a peculiar glitchy place in this track.

This track is a progressive one, it takes its sweet time building up and releasing exactly once, which is fine - in fact, it's great and I think you did it pretty well! It could use a louder master in the back half I think but I'd take this :)

And yeah, I like what you did to that build. It's not jarring anymore like it was before, and the glitches help build the tension.

Biggest thing I would wish for is a proper outro :/ but besides that for the most part this is really solid! Best of luck to you man :)

stardew responds:

thanks for the review 1f1! curse you overtime, if you didn't exist i might've had time to add an outro!

i really appreciate the time you took out of your day to give me some advice while i was making this, this piece would be a lot worse if not for your help :^)

good luck to you as well

Is this a good time to start my NGADM '18 favorites playlist? I think it is!

Stellar entry dude. All that work on the drops paid off, because they're excellent. Such intensity, such lovely chords, such BASS (YES THAT BASS), such vibrato. Love it.

I also do want to reiterate that the builds are excellent. I know you think builds are hard and they are but these are definitely good. Also, god, 3:05 gets me every time.

The foley is great. I'm really glad you added that newspaper at the end, that's a really nice touch. The pouring is really gentle and nice. The cafe sounds, super good. The way it's incorporated into the percussion really sells the "root beer float" theme. It's so tasty.

After NGADM, promise me we'll collab on something :3

Miyolophone responds:

Ahhh thank you so much for the praise and your help along the way, 1f1n!

And yes, definitely, as soon as I have any semblance of free time

3 Art Reviews

Have you ever tried putting a leaf on a lake and then putting a butterfly on the water on the leaf on the water and then attaching the leaf to a dragonfly with a spider silk or something and pulling it really fast? Y'know, it'd be a wakeboarding butterfly.

stardew responds:

okaay sooo this is the bonus round entry for the bonus round round thing yknow that i'm supposed to do for the uhh the uhh the th th the the chocolate compo th the chocolate compo thing yeah that alright i'm just gonna sit here and like talk a bunch i dunno cuz like thinking that maybe sitting here and talking might confuse people like they'll go into the voting booth and be like "oh nooo do i give this a 5 or a 0 in composition i dunno he's literally just talking there's nothing else oh no i'm scared what do i do" then i'll get middle entry cuz that's how the world works i guess

sounds like a plan

wh what who the hell are you

i'm your ghooooost oooooooo spooky ghost

do you think this plan will work?

i had an ice cream the other day it was like idk it was pretty cold and nice it was a pretty cold day actually idk why i decided to have an ice cream on such a CAAAUUWWWLLD DAAAY but it's ok anyway how was your day pretty good i guess

when's the last time you've had a waaaatermelon i think watermelon's a pretty good fruit yknow it's got lotsa nice juices in it yknow nice tasty juices mmmMMMMMmmm yknow you wanna just take all those watermelon juices and just SMEAR THEM ALL OVER YOUR BODY MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM DELICIOUS yea sounds pretty good

man repeating himself veeery quietly in the background

what else do you wanna talk about to yknow waste everyone's time like a normal person

have you ever tried putting a leaf on a lake and then putting a butterfly on the water on the leaf on the water and that attaching the leaf to a dragonfly with a spider silk or something and pulling it really fast yknow it'd be a wakeboarding butterfly

no but have you ever tried clearing off a table and putting a jar of tomato sauce on the table yknow open it up and taste that nice sauce no ketchup just sauce and then putting a few more jars on the table and giving them sunglasses because they're cool it would be a salsa gang salsa gang salsa gang salsa gang

remind me to do aim next year from your library

BlueOceans responds:

Sure, if I remember :)

Eyyyyyyy that pretty guud

KaitoGFX responds:

merci beaucoup <3

Pronouced "wun-FIHN-ih-tee" I make episodic journey music tending towards the ambient side of the spectrum. I don't accept friend requests on NG because they affect my notifications :( sorry!

n/a, Male