XOB XOB

This game is pretty well done stylistically! I feel like if there was more of an introduction to some of the concepts (as opposed to just slapping them in and hoping the player will notice it amidst the distractions), it would make the level design feel more solid.

The Splitting: Chapter 2 The Splitting: Chapter 2

What I really love about this game is that it has the gameplay of your standard point and click adventure, with the whole collecting, combining, and interacting with objects, but at the same time the series is following the puzzle game formula that all the best puzzle games follow. Chapter 1 introduced a new concept and slowly experimented with what it can do until the player has a solid grasp on how the system works. Here, Chapter 2 has taken those ideas and twisted them completely with the covering/uncovering mirrors and item duplication, and through the game teaches you how to apply those concepts until mastery in very subtle, well-designed ways. Now, it's not just the continuation of the story that makes me want to look out for the next chapter - I'm also excited to see what other concepts and twists you guys will put into the concept! Stunning work, fully deserving my every star!

That Pokeyman Thing Your Grandkids Are Into That Pokeyman Thing Your Grandkids Are Into

This is the pinnacle of satire right here. 10/10, man.

~Fore~ Useless (Let Go) ~Fore~ Useless (Let Go)

Hey, aliaspharow! I missed you

I like the percussive texture you're doing here. Lots of offbeat sounds that you managed to blend together perfectly - I always struggle a bit with that, making each percussive sound fit together.

I could have probably use a more prominent sub in the first bit, although the bass does pick up the pace at around 0:10.

Those sweep arps like the one at 0:33 are super cool - I just wish they lasted longer :P

_sequence/03/!%tranquility#_ _sequence/03/!%tranquility#_

Hey! Thanks again for the great review. I guess I'll drop by and get another one :)

First off, holy crap that name.

So right off the bat we have lots of sine waves. And that doesn't really change much throughout the whole song, yet you still made creative sounds out of just that. You did a good job giving different personalities to different tones. This is made especially well with a purposeful use of distortion.

Composition is super cool here. Really nice use of harmonies to produce a tranquil atmosphere with a hint of darkness and distortion.

I hear lots of reverb, which is good. I was just hoping for more delay. Recently I've really started to come to appreciate how ridiculously good delay can be, with the whole textural stereo range thing.

The drum beat at 1:15 is super well done. It's got sufficient range, volume, brightness, and impact.

Biggest gripe is probably the repetition. You're aware of this already, as evidenced by the description. It sounds like it would be good for BGM, as it's just diverse enough, but as a standalone track, the sound becomes dull pretty quickly.

The outro is pretty good, except over time you take out this one harmonic that's present at 3:21, and by 3:26 it's completely gone. I would have personally preferred it if that harmonic remained in the sound all the way, which would allow the track to end more ambiguously - better suited, in my opinion, to this particular sound.

Overall, really nice work! Could definitely see that you tried variation as much as possible.

Azhthar responds:

Wow! Thanks a lot for this detailed review. Np for my review ;) It´s actually some sine waves there but not too much. The thing is I recorded a synth here which has a very soft tone in general (The Vermona Perfourmer). Even Saws sound very soft if you filter the high frequs. So it´s actually a wild mix of lots of different oscillators. I used delay acutally on nearly every track. I used a tape delay and kept it relatively subtle on most tracks. You here it mainly on the mallet like sounds and the bass. Also the marracas (shakers) have a lot of tape delay. The cool thing here is that it gave that drumcomputer shaker sound some contrasting sound after it hits. So it sounds like a shaker shaken back and forth. Hmmm... I think after 3:26 it´s just the reverb tail of this pad like string sound. So I didn´t take any tone out by purpose but I get what you mean ;) So again: Thanks a lot for the nice feedback!

Untitled 75 (PxTone) Untitled 75 (PxTone)

R4R

Bruh this sounds pretty good! I can imagine this playing in a small hub world for a nice, 16-bit video game.

+ PxTone? I've never heard of this one :O
+ The chords are super interesting, and the melody is super cool! Really awesome compositional work.
+ PERFECT LOOP :D
+ Really good work keeping the flow of the song going throughout. Never did anything feel abrupt or off-putting.

- I would have liked brighter drums, but I can understand if that isn't entirely possible.
- The melodies are pretty drawn out. They're cool, yes, but they aren't exactly easily remembered.
- The whole thing sounds rather mono. I would have enjoyed to hear some playing around with panning and stereo and such.

Random-storykeeper responds:

Ah, thanks! I'm surprised you haven't heard of PxTone (?); it's a pretty well known, free-to-use program.

Yeah, I suppose in this, I tried to focus more on changing it up a lot rather than making a memorable melody. Well I guess that means it's harder to get it stuck in your head, thus making it less likely to become annoying? :P lol I know what you mean.

I'm surprised you hear the piece as mono, as I did have quite a bit of panning involved in the piece (take for example, the opening square waves), but I guess it doesn't quite come through in the export? I didn't really play around with stereo panning though, so I may give that a shot.

Also not really sure what you mean about "brighter" drums (higher pitch, shorter?). But thanks overall for your feedback. :)