XOB XOB

This game is pretty well done stylistically! I feel like if there was more of an introduction to some of the concepts (as opposed to just slapping them in and hoping the player will notice it amidst the distractions), it would make the level design feel more solid.

The Splitting: Chapter 2 The Splitting: Chapter 2

What I really love about this game is that it has the gameplay of your standard point and click adventure, with the whole collecting, combining, and interacting with objects, but at the same time the series is following the puzzle game formula that all the best puzzle games follow. Chapter 1 introduced a new concept and slowly experimented with what it can do until the player has a solid grasp on how the system works. Here, Chapter 2 has taken those ideas and twisted them completely with the covering/uncovering mirrors and item duplication, and through the game teaches you how to apply those concepts until mastery in very subtle, well-designed ways. Now, it's not just the continuation of the story that makes me want to look out for the next chapter - I'm also excited to see what other concepts and twists you guys will put into the concept! Stunning work, fully deserving my every star!

That Pokeyman Thing Your Grandkids Are Into That Pokeyman Thing Your Grandkids Are Into

This is the pinnacle of satire right here. 10/10, man.

DJ Neat - Dreams DJ Neat - Dreams

Hey. R4R.

I'm going to fucus on mostly the criticism since your description seems to suggest that that's what you're mostly looking for

- The piece needs more dynamic variation. Nearly every section is loud, without any soft parts.
- At 0:37 you've given your drums so much reverb that it's making the whole thing muddy. You shouldn't really be giving kicks reverb that often anyway.
- It's good that you made your drop has some impact, but it could be improved with some more high end stuff, like maybe an arp.
- Near the end of your track you repeat a single drop twice and the track becomes incredibly repetitive. You should introduce more melodic variation in your track.
- Your transitions are literally just sweeps going up and that's it. There are more interesting and more effective ways to move between sections of track, including fills, pick ups, etc. Try utilizing a larger variety of transitioning techniques.

GGMiXsiMusic responds:

Thank you very much!

Market Day (KindLing A0S1) Market Day (KindLing A0S1)

I was told there were many reviews here that mentioned me

Well now that I'm here I might as well sit for your ride. And oh boy what a ride it was.

There are so many great things happening just off the beginning. The first minute is extremely beautiful melodically, and the drums are really, really nice. You have pretty good command of reverb and dynamics which is fabulous. The section at 1:15 sort of needed more going into it, but that slight disappointment is very quickly replaced by the drive of the kick drum.

And holy crap, you're changing tempo. Caught me off guard but I love it (mostly cuz I do it myself :P). Really nice modulation at 1:57 too. 2:06 has some sweet sweet bitcrusher going on

The tempo is going back up again. The guitar is back, the fabulous rhythm section returns, is that a flute? Man don't stop feeding me your amazing

Biggest couple of complaints would have to be: 1) I had trouble grasping onto one single melody over the course of the track. Don't know if that's just me or if there's just not enough emphasis in the track. 2) The climaxes tend to lack the impact they need to really sell themselves. This is something I struggle with too so it's okay.

Overall, though, this is a really solid entry. Amazingly perfect drum design, really good mixing and atmosphere, fantastic melodies and composition. Now let me go listen to the rest of your discography to see if I should smash that follow button. Good luck!

Miyolophone responds:

Damn, thanks for dropping by, man! I'm thrilled that you liked it so much, since I did have you in mind while I was making it (which apparently every single person picked up on?? I thought I was a bit more subtle than that lol). Good luck to you as well (despite your writer's block)!

In the Mist In the Mist

Might as well drop an R4R since I'm in the contest too.

+ I like this chord at 0:38
+ Drums at 1:45 are really really cool
+ Sounds are designed decently for their purpose
+ Dynamics and transitions are generally well executed

- First minute is literally the same synth the entire way with not much else
- Kick at drop (2:16) is a bit underwhelming
- There is no reason for you to wait so long to introduce the hihat at 3:00
- After 3:16 the rest of the song is mostly stuff we've already heard before
- Some of the stuff in the drops aren't tuned exactly right
- Generally lacks a strong melody

Very few entries this year, huh? We all have a better shot at making it.

Voltus responds:

but that sweet sweet distortion on the lovely synth at the start... well I guess I'm too in love with details sometimes, yeah it's a frickin long intro... And an underwhelming kick... never had that before.